How to make cannabis butter at home
Cannabis butter, or cannabutter, is a critical ingredient in most THC edibles recipes.
First thing’s first, making cannabis butter at home is not time-intensive. But paying attention throughout the process is critical. Be sure to set aside at least an hour to make your cannabis butter without too many distractions. We’d also recommend reading through this guide fully before starting to make your butter so you can see the whole process from start to finish. And don’t forget to spend just as much time selecting the perfect flower for your particular needs.
- 1 Nonstick Tray
- 1 Saucepan
- 1 Jar
- 1 Funnel
- Parchment Paper
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 7-10 Grams Fresh Cannabis
- Preheat your oven to 245°F.
- Place your cannabis buds on an oven-safe and nonstick tray.
- Cover that tray with parchment paper.
- Let the buds bake for between 30 and 40 minutes.
- Every 10 minutes or so, shake the tray likely to mix the buds and expose the buds’ surface areas a little more evenly.
- Grind your decarboxylated cannabis buds with a hand grinder or a mashing tool.
- Melt the butter by adding 1 cup of butter and 1 cup of water into a pot or saucepan. Let the pot or saucepan simmer on low so that the butter melts evenly without thickening or evaporating.
- Add the cannabis to the butter/water mixture. Mix it in progressively and stir the cannabis grounds evenly throughout the mixture.
- Let simmer on low heat for between two and three hours. Be sure that the simmer never comes to a full boil or you’ll lose some of the product.
- Strain your cannabis-infused butter by setting a funnel on top of a jar or bowl. Line up the funnel with a cheesecloth, which should let you strain the fluid through and keep the plant matter from getting into the final butter product.
- Let the butter cool for a few minutes, then pour the butter over the cheesecloth and funnel. The straining effect should filter out the butter effectively. DO NOT squeeze the cheesecloth since this could press plant matter through and alter the taste of your resulting cannabis butter.
- Place the jar of butter in the refrigerator for about an hour. This will give the butter a chance to solidify before you use it for any edible products or for spreading on snacks, desserts, and other dishes.